Click here to read the Gabriel Park Pollinator Meadow FAQ (PDF; 7/19/17)
Gabriel Park’s amenities include: Accessible picnic area, accessible play area, accessible restroom, baseball field, basketball court, dog off-leash area, fenced/paved/unpaved paths, picnic site – reservable, picnic tables, playground, skatepark, soccer field, softball field, tennis court, tennis court – lighted, and volleyball court. The Southwest Community Center and Indoor Pool is located at the northwest corner of the park. The park’s extensive natural areas include a small Douglas Fir forest and meandering Vermont Creek. Refer to our Maps page.
• Gabriel Park is a very safe and family-friendly place. However, Portland’s Park Rangers remind us: “If there is a crime in progress, or if a serious threat or problem is developing, or if there is an emergency, PP&R staff and citizens should call Emergency 9-1-1. • For non-emergency park-related problems or special situations, call the Park Rangers at 503-823-1637. • For dog attacks or other serious situations involving animals, call Multnomah County Animal Control at 503-248-3790 or call Police Non-Emergency at 503-823-3333. • You can also report a park problem online at Park Scan: www.parkscanpdx.org • For park maintenance problems, call 503-823-1600.”
About Friends of Gabriel Park:
Join your neighbors who care about the park!
- Friends of Gabriel Park is a volunteer group started Spring 2014. We welcome anyone who wants to invest time in helping take care of the park, its community center, and the park’s many other public facilities. Consider joining us as we connect with the city and stakeholder organizations to help keep Gabriel Park a healthy, beautiful space for the community to enjoy!
Help us support and improve our park and community!
- Do you walk, run, play tennis, exercise (yourself, family or dog!), plant vegetables, skateboard, play basketball or other sports, or enjoy nature in the park?
- Are you concerned about invasive plants encroaching on the natural areas of the park?
- Are you interested in supporting the many community center programs, such as daycare, swimming lessons, and classes?
- Would you like to help make sure that Gabriel Park continues to be a wonderful, safe, family-friendly asset to the neighborhood and city?
- Do you have other ideas for park improvements?
Some possible Friends of Gabriel Park activities:
- Vision and master plan
- Trail markers and improvements
- Invasive plant removal work parties
- Nature studies
- Construction of gazebo/rain shelters
- Fundraising fun events
- Community outreach and education
- Support for park maintenance
- Connect the park to nearby neighborhoods and schools
Please refer to this website’s homepage for meeting & event announcements, schedule changes, cancellations, etc. Meetings & events are open to the public; everyone welcome! Meetings are usually held inside the park’s SW Community Center, 6820 SW 45th Ave., Portland, OR 97239. [Google Maps], but sometimes when the weather is really nice, we meet outside in the park! 🙂
FOGP OFFICERS and COMMITTEE HEADS:
Chair emeritus: Gary Miniszewski
Secretary: Marita Ingalsbe
Naturalists: Jay Withgott and Susan Masta
Events & Outreach: Holly A. Zimmerman
Website: Peter J. DeCrescenzo