WE NEED VOLUNTEERS! IF YOU LOVE GABRIEL PARK, PLEASE GET INVOLVED! 🙂
MEETING: Monday, Aug. 7, 2017, 6:00-7:30pm: Gabriel Park Pollinator Meadow informational meeting at the SW Community Center (6820 SW 45th Ave, Portland, OR 97219). Please join us to learn more about the Gabriel Park Pollinator Meadow Project and share your thoughts and concerns around this project. SURVEY: PP&R wants to address your areas of interest for this meeting! Please take this SURVEY to help facilitate a constructive discussion. We invite you to fill out the survey so that we may compile the survey results in advance of the meeting on August 7th, the survey will close on Friday, August 4th at 9 am.
Click here to read the Gabriel Park Pollinator Meadow FAQ (PDF)
PAST MEETINGS & EVENTS of note (click photos to enlarge):
• MEETING 3/20/17: PARKS BOND: SUPPORT THE GABRIEL PARK PLAYGROUND RENOVATION: During the Parks Bond Town Hall meeting at the MAC, we learned renovation of the playground in Gabriel Park is on the list of proposed projects. However, it’s not a sure thing yet! Please register your support and comments before April 4th using the online comment form!
• 4/20/16: PRESENTATION: “The bumble bees of Gabriel Park”: Spring is here and the construction of Gabriel Park’s pollinator meadow is underway, so it’s a great time to learn more about the native pollinators in our neighborhood. At our April meeting Dr. Susan Masta gave a presentation on the bumble bees found in Gabriel Park. We learned about their biology, life cycle, and how they pollinate plants. Dr. Masta is an Associate Professor in the Department of Biology at PSU, and curates the Dept.’s insect collections of the Museum of Natural History.
• 2/17/16: Jay Withgott and Susan Masta gave a presentation on the owls of Gabriel Park at the Friends of Gabriel Park monthly meeting at SW Community Center.
• Click here to read the Gabriel Park Pollinator Meadow FAQ (PDF; 7/19/17)
• 10/12/15 update: On 9/16/15 Friends of Gabriel Park held its regular monthly meeting at SW Community Center. Our special guest Janelle St. Pierre, Staff Ecologist with Portland Parks & Recreation, discussed a draft plan for the southern area of the park (see below). This planning process is part of PPR’s new Ecologically Sustainable Landscape Initiative. In the illustration below the yellow areas indicate possible Community Garden expansion. The orange outline shows possible Community Orchard expansion. The purple outline indicates the area of a proposed Pollinator Meadow. The green outline is an area for possible Habitat Conversion (invasives removal). #1 and #2 indicate possible alternate locations for a small public Gathering Space, the design of which is TBD. The black outline is possible additional parking. For comparison purposes, refer to our detailed Gabriel Park maps. Additional information is in the PPR document Gabriel Park – Southern Park Concept (PDF). Community input may be submitted via the PPR Comment Form (PDF) through 10/30/15. Public input is also welcome at the next FOGP meeting at 7:00 PM on Oct. 21st (3rd Wed.)
• On 4/15/15 PP&R Natural Resource Planner Emily Roth introduced the new Ecologically Sustainable Landscape Initiative, while PP&R Community Gardens Program Coordinator Laura Niemi discussed the Community Gardens program. PP&R Ecologist Janelle St. Pierre updated us on park plans and facilitated discussion and Q&A with Emily and Laura about how their programs might tie in with ideas we’ve been discussing for Gabriel Park.
Minutes from past meetings are available on our Google Docs page.
Contact Friends of Gabriel Park: info@FriendsOfGabrielPark.com
FOGP OFFICERS and COMMITTEE HEADS:
Chair: Gary Miniszewski
Secretary: Marita Ingalsbe
Naturalists: Jay Withgott and Susan Masta
Events & Outreach: Holly A. Zimmerman
Website: Peter J. DeCrescenzo
Meetings are usually held at 7:00pm on the 3rd Wed. of the month, but check here on the website for last minute schedule changes or cancellations. Everyone Welcome! Location: SW Community Center, 6820 SW 45th Ave., Portland, OR. [Google Maps].